Runcorn Cemetery

In the 1850s Runcorn was an important inland port of the River Mersey. Since 1776 the Bridgewater canal had had its western terminus in the town making Runcorn an important transhipment point. Boat yards, tanneries and warehousing had all sprung up around the waterways of the town.

By the mid-19th century the church yard at the Parish Church of All Saints could no longer cope with the demand that was placed upon it and a Runcorn Burial Board was formed. The priority for the board was to create a cemetery and by 1858 they had acquired land in Greenway Meadows for the purpose of making a cemetery. 

In June that year the “Warrington Guardian” carried an advertisement inviting architects to tender for the work, “The Runcorn Burial Board are desirous of receiving plans and estimates for the creation of two plain neat chapels detached (one for the use of the Established Church and the other for Dissenters) with an entrance lodge, gates and receiving house for laying the burial ground”.

When the cemetery was opened in March 1860 it became necessary to make the old field path from Savages Bridge to Higher Runcorn into a road, this became Greenway Road. The Board of Commissioners did not neglect the old cemetery at the Parish Church and they renewed the boundary wall from Clarence Terrace to the Ferry landing.

The first burial took place on the 8th of March 1860. This burial being of a two year old child named William Rutter. That grave now holds five interments, including William’s parents, George and Mary were buried in 1903 and 1904.

Commonwealth War Graves

There are 72 Commonwealth War Graves within Runcorn Cemetery. 70 from the United Kingdom and 2 who served in the Canadian forces.

Map used from the archives of Halton Borough Council