The sandstone church of St. Luke was founded in 1180 and was originally dedicated to the Anglo-Saxon saint, Wilfred. The Grade 11* listed building has seen many changes and additions over the centuries.
The original chapel of 1180 forms the central section of the church. To this were added a North Aisle between 1280 -1300, and then a South Aisle and Tower in 1300-80. The Bold Chantry was founded in 1406, but was rebuilt in 1855 at the expense of Henry Houghton Esq., a descendant of the Bold family who were the main benefactors of the church over many years.
The Bold Chapel contains several interesting memorials to members of the Bold family, some of which were carved by eminent craftsmen. The monument to Princess Sapieha is by the Italian Pietro Tenerani, whose most celebrated work is the tomb of Pope Pius VIII in the Vatican.
The Church also has some fine stained glass windows – The Old Baptistry Window is by William Morris & Co.